Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Light at the End of The Tunnel May Not be Good if it is Hell's Gate Tunnel

I had a unique experience last Sunday when we drove up the Fraser Canyon. I have been through there many times over the years, but never as a passenger. I was able to gawk and gaze at everthing without feer of driving over the edge or crossing over the centre line. I particularly enjoyed the numerous tunnels and took photos of them coming and going. I remember driving through this one in the mid seventies in the dead of winter and hitting a chunk of ice the size of a small suit case and bending both wheels as well as throwing out my wheel alignment. It was a miracle I did not have a double blowout because there was no place to stop and there was a big truck right on my tail. I humped and bounced all the way home on my oblong wheels, a journey that lasted more than three hours due to the reduced speed. I suppose there is an element of danger in any season. These tunnels are 50 years old this year.   

No comments: