Saturday, July 10, 2010

Photographing Birds

I am sure you have seen them, those bird photographs that are so sharp and clear that you can see every feather and hair on the bird's body. Those shots do not happen by accident. It takes rather good equipment and a whole lot of patience to get a shot like that. My lens is not nearly 'long' enough to do bird photography. I have to get really close with my 200 mm lens to do anything serious and because most birds are rather skittish, that is not likely to happen. One could always build a blind, but I am not serious enough to do that. And here is another thing. I do not know my birds very well so when I take a photo like the one above, I do not even know what its name is!
But I do know that the one below is an American Goldfinch.

1 comment:

Eric Vogt said...

Be careful Terry, bird photography is quite addictive! Nice photos. I love the color on the gold finch.

You could get some great shots with the 200mm lens with a bird feeder in you back yard, a remote shutter, and a LOT of patience!