Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Front Door

This is my front door. For those of you who follow my bog regularly, you know that this new door was installed in February. I have been anxiously waiting for the weather to warm so I can paint it. There have been one or two occasions, but I did not have time. Last week I finally got to it. I used a high gloss oil and the first coat went well. Because all the hardware has to be removed, I wanted to do the door on two consecutive days, only replacing the dead bolt for security at night. On the second day of painting, the day was cold and humid. By nightfall, it was not yet dry. I knew what was going to happen but hoped it would not. When humidity collects on drying oil paint, it loses all of its gloss. And so it happened to me, an experienced painter. But in my defence, this has only ever happened to me in the late autumn, never in late June. So, the next day, I painted a third coat over the now dull finish. I now have a rather thicker door, but with 50% more protection.
Fooled by global warming once again.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

It looks excellent!