Sunday, July 25, 2010

It Was Overdue .... I Think

A beautiful Saturday morning can suddenly turn into something nasty. When following a bus, one must be constantly aware that the bus could, at any moment, stop to pick up riders. Of course, I know this, but momentarily reaching into my shirt pocket for my sunglasses clip-ons is all it takes for the distance between me and the bus to  minimize rapidly. Traffic on my left prevented me from quickly changing lanes so I bore down on the brakes and braced myself. There was some satisfaction in noting that the bus was disabled and had to be towed as it was leaking coolant. My little truck was still quite drivable. Monday will determine if it is a 'write-off'. If it is, I will be paid out for the book value and off I go to shop for new wheels. If not, it will get repaired with insurance money. This truck is worth way more to me than book value. It is a low mileage economical vehicle with an eight foot long box, somewhat of a rarity and I will not be able to replace it. I will pay for the repair out of my own pocket if need be. I just last week spent $700 on all sorts of maintenance and tune-ups and it was in top form, running better than ever and getting better fuel economy than ever. What a crying shame to have to scrap it.
It is 17 years old and still sparkles. As for "overdue"? It was 1969 when I had my first accident. Not a one since then, until yesterday.  

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh DAD!!! That is horrible.
You doing okay?

Margarete said...

So sad! And frustrating too.