Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Brain Cell

This image created in Photo Shop from a photograph of some garden art found in Palm Desert.

An issue that is getting a lot of research these days is the effect of cell phone use on the brain. We are all being continually bombarded with microwave impulses, but when we hold a cell phone to our ear, we are bringing a strong signal to within a few millimeters of our precious brain cells.
When I am driving, and my cell phone rings, my brain activity jumps through the roof, but because I am trying to find creative ways to pull out of traffic and take the call. When I do take the call, apparently the signal that hits my brain causes it to increase glucose levels. Now that this piece of brilliance has been discovered, the next question, of course, is what does that do?
Increase glucose levels are linked to tumor growth, but multiple studies have not linked tumors with excessive cell phone use.
As science get closer to giving us definitive answers to this modern day question, I will err on the side of caution. I use my cell phone very little and am reluctant to give out my number. It is a great business tool and saves me a lot of travel and time, but those benefits will soon be forgotten when I am told I have a tumour growing in my head. I only have one brain, or maybe half a brain these days, and I want it to keep on working for me, not against me.   

1 comment:

Chris said...

Apparently cordless house phones do the same thing and many people walk around all day with one pinched between their shoulder and ear, I know someone who did that and she has a brain tumor on that side of her head close to where she held the phone. It is not certain that is what caused it but it looks suspicious doesn't it?