Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Reflections on Valentine's Day


I did not forget Valentine's Day yesterday. One can only reflect on a day when it has passed, so here is my Valentine's day post. 

I did the flower thing yesterday and was struck by how many men I saw rushing out of the store with a bouquet of roses clutched in their hands. I wondered how many were wracked with guilt, smitten by love, or relieved that now their duty was done.

The card and flower people love it and are the real beneficiaries of this manufactured and consumer driven day. But not to be too cynical, we all need a day to remind us that there is not enough love going around, or at least, there can never be too much. 

My choice would be chocolate, obviously, but busylizzy is restrained by dietary considerations so it would be rather self serving for me to buy her chocolates and end up eating them all myself, although I did consider that option. Every day should be Valentine's day, a day when we shower our loved ones with gifts and affection, so with that in mind, I will make another shopping excursion and get some of that chocolate after all. She can enjoy the roses and I will eat her chocolates. Our chocolates. My chocolates. Whatever. 
Happy belated Valentine's day.   

No comments: