Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Progress


My second experiment with re-finishing the table has failed. I stripped the remaining pieces, for the second time, but the polyurethane I applied to one of the table extensions developed 'fish eyes' once again. I got some professional advice and Wed. morning I will try 'plan c'. . At least the table and one extension is only stained to this point. I left mid morning in frustration, but had a job to go look at. When I came back I had a fresh perspective and will continue. But I checked to if I still knew where my axe is stored.   


We resumed the wallpaper stripping and decided to leave the wall behind the fireplace. It had wood panelling originally and when I hung this red paper, I 'mudded' the panelling only to the point where the seams would not show through the wallpaper. This time, because we are re-papering that wall, I will just throw on some primer and then paper over the whole thing. This will save us some time. Right now, this is the only colour remaining in our living area.


I stripped on this plank yesterday, but had only two non paying spectators. They left when they thought I was going to fall down. The bird wreath and the dated flowered wallpaper are history. Our home is so stark right now. It was originally white and it is that again. If I won the lottery (or even had some work) I would replace this old Mediterranean style spindle rail. But that would necessitate the replacement of the carpets or the installation of hardwood floors.  The old can of worms rearing its ugly expensive head again. One thing we will do that we said we would not, is install crown mouldings. Now that the wallpaper and all the borders are gone, I cannot see not doing it. I will be giving this job to a friend who does this all the time. If I do it myself, what I save in labour, will all go into the cost of a compound miter saw, something I will probably never use again. And, the crown mouldings will look like they were done by somebody who did not know what they were doing and took two weeks to do them. 
The ugly work is done now. The rest is fun.    

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Maybe you should just invested in beautiful tablecloths.