Thursday, February 3, 2011

Not so Easy Pay


When travelling all day in the state of California, I do not look forward to filling up with gas. The gas stations do not take credit cards unless you enter your zip code into the touchpad at the pump. So us deprived foreigners who do not have a zip code have to enter the store and give our credit card, unguarded, or pre-pay for a determined amount before they turn the gas pumps on. This way, one can never 'fill up' and as a result, more stops for gas. 
It was a relief to get into Oregon, although there, one is not allowed to 'self serve'. Washington state is where things get back to normal. You put in the credit card, fill up, pull off your receipt, and go. Well, not quite normal because I have a Shell EasyPay tag which is not recognised in Washington state. 
I have had this tag for many years and enjoy the very rapid convenience of it. Swipe it, fill up, grab the receipt and run. Until today, the day I used my new tag for the first time. (the original one feel apart from use.) 
I swiped my card, it indicated "recognised", but the pump would not turn on. I was about to go to the attendant when I noticed on the display that I was supposed to enter the amount of my fuel purchase. I always fill up so I only punched in what I thought would not be too much. Then I went inside and had a conversation, in Punjabrish (Punjabi/English). It seems they started this business in December, when I was gone. I was told it was because "some people are stealing credit cards". 
No kidding. But what does this accomplish? How can I fill up? 
"You have to be leaving your credit card with us or your keys or your wallet and then be filling up and then come and pay us" 
"But how do I know you will not steal my credit card number or stuff in my wallet or make a duplicate of my house key which is on my key ring?"
"Oh, we are not inclined to steal, sir." 
"But, tell me how this is EasyPay?" 
"You just are swiping your tag, sir." 
"But I cannot fill up now, easily, can I" 
"I am supposing not, sir."   (My new beard brings me a lot of respect, hence the "sir") 
"So, how do you know that the credit card that is linked to the EasyPay I swiped is not a stolen credit card?" 
"I am not knowing that, sir. Maybe you are stealing the EasyPay tag." 
"But what difference is that to you, the store owner. The credit card company pays you if the tag and the credit card are validated, and they just were. If they are stolen, they would be validated too, until I reported the tag or card stolen. So why inconvenience your customers?"
"I am not knowing, sir, all the Shell stations are doing it."
"Ah-ha. They are all doing it. Well, that seems a good reason to do it. I will go to the Chevron and see if they want my business."
"Sorry, sir"

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Ha ha ha!!!
I never have trouble at SuperStore Gas Bar.

Anonymous said...

HAHAAA! ROFL!!!

How ironic!

Send your story to Reader's Digest (Life's Like That) and maybe they'll pay you enough money to fill up your tank - with cash.

-the empathizing rellies

Terry said...

Does Super Store have an easy pay system?
I am boycotting RD.

Rachel said...

yes I think so but I don't use it.