Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Near Miss

Six hundred years ago, there was a total eclipse of a full moon.  And now we were in the desert, with little light pollution, soaking in the hot tub, with time on our hands, and it was going to happen again. Late evening it began and soon the moon was half covered by the shadow of the earth. And then the clouds suddenly rolled in, and in a matter of minutes, the view was totally obscured, and we missed it. Oh well, maybe next time.





A few weeks later, I was face up beside the pool on a sunny day, thinking about how I missed that rare event, and marvelling how the moon was now only half, but so visible in the sky in the early afternoon, when suddenly, I saw a jet liner hurtling toward it.







My mind was racing. How could I quickly get to a place where I could get a photograph of the plane crashing into the moon. By the time I would get dressed and run the fourteen blocks to the south to line up the shot, it would be too late.


So, I lay there and watched, knowing that yet again.....


.....I missed a rare and momentous event.

1 comment:

poof said...

Coolio!

Silly brother.