Friday, February 18, 2011

Remembering To Say Thank You


I have had time to do some soul searching and review of the last several months. I see some encouraging and some discouraging trends. Apart from a wonderful holiday, there is an issue staring me in the face and that is the lack of work. From Dec. 12 to Feb. 12, I worked a total of 5 hours, for pay, and I have not yet been paid as of today. January of 2010 was a banner month, my best January ever, just to compare. You would be shocked at the figures. I am. 
In the last two weeks things have picked up a little and we worked almost every day even working a full 8 hours, for the first time since December, just yesterday. 
The discouraging thing about this is that I am not willing nor able to retire just yet. In my last few good working years, it would be better that I work than that I do not. I am losing it physically, and my retirement plans cannot kick in until I reach a certain age or I will run out of money sooner than later. 
The encouraging trend is that this does not bother me as much as it has in the past. In talking to others, I have it good, by comparison. The middle aged fellow I met last week who has a huge mortgage and two kids and is also out of work is in a state of desperation. I am not. 
I am finding myself becoming more grateful these days. In the past, when things have gone sideways for me, I have greatly regretted not being more thankful when my situation was better. Well, now I am very thankful.  My prayers these days are almost all about gratitude. I am finding that everything in my life is a gift and I am thankful for it. Every new day, every breath, laying my head on my pillow at night with no pain, in a warm bed, and with a full stomach, being as healthy as I am, is just so fantastic. It may not always be so. 
So, I say thank you continually, and whatever comes my way, well, I have become more relaxed about it.   


No comments: