Sunday, November 6, 2011

Go Figure

Our Maple tree just outside our kitchen window.

Don't you love the suspense? Now you can read about the reason for my groin injury, when I should have been at work, where, perhaps I could have fallen off a ladder and killed myself, but with a healthy groin intact.
A local building company called to let me know that their client had their wallpaper in hand and they were ready to have us come and install it. The homeowner was looking after everything so the builder was only a source of contact for a sub-trade, otherwise, I would have asked pertinent questions and saved myself a trip. We unloaded the tools and brought in the long ladder (I had heard the ceilings for the feature wall were 12' high). I asked for the paper and she brought me three rolls. I asked her where the rest of it was. She said that is all there was, and she knew it was not enough. My blood starts to simmer when this happens. 
"Why did you call for us when you knew it was not enough?"
"I thought you might somehow come up with a solution"
"Like what did you have in mind"
"Just paper from the corner to the window .. maybe?"
"And then what?"
"I will order more."
"And when the new roll comes and it is a different dye lot, what happens?"
"Will you notice it?"
"Oh, you will notice it, in colour, texture, sheen, and pattern match . And then you will pay us to take down all the paper we hung, and then you will order a whole new lot of paper (at $100.00 per roll) and then we will come a third time and hang it the way it should have been done in the first place."
"But, it is a Swedish design and made in Denmark."
"So?"
"It will take months."
"You should have thought of that when you ordered the first time. What were you thinking?"
"I thought the ceilings were 9' tall, not 12'"
So, we packed up all the tools and went home, the day shot. What do you when your plans go awry? You could always go out and pull your groin muscle.
   


No comments: