Thursday, November 17, 2011

Saturday Vote

Blue berries come from Red bushes.

We are having an election here this Saturday to chose new local government officials. Funny how a local governing body effects us so much, and yet we seem to know so little about the candidates. I must admit that I know more about federal and provincial politics than I do about local government. I live here, drive here, work here, pay huge taxes here, and yet feel so powerless when it comes to choosing the people who make the important decisions. Over riding all other issues, is something called P3 water supply. P3 stands for Public Private Partnership. The present mayor and council are spending our tax dollars to convince us that we will run out of water by 2016 if we do not go along with the agenda of tapping the waters of Stave Lake, a fair distance away, but at huge cost. I will not get into all the issues but leave it to say that I am convinced that there is a rotten fish smelling up the water issue, so I will not be voting for it. Come 2016, I may regret that decision, but I highly doubt it. There are viable alternatives at fractions of the cost. What we really need is a new mayor who is not agenda driven at all costs. Too bad there are no serious contenders.  


We voted last night in the advance poll. We did not like the prospect of fighting the crowds on Sat. Turns out we fought the crowds tonight. I guess there were a lot of folks thinking like us. Then we get home and I am informed that there was cougar sighting in our neighbourhood yesterday. It was only a block or less from our house. We have no bush anywhere near us, so this is rather baffling. I hope he was after my neighbour's dog.



3 comments:

Rachel said...

As Keith said....What kind of cougar was it? LOL!

Terry said...

The 'Google' search engine is confused when you enter "cougar". It gives a variety of sites regarding older women seeking younger men, Ford/Mercury Cougars (cars) and finally, the big bad kitty cats that eat pets and children in a single gulp.

grammie g said...

Hi Terry... I don't know how I got here, been blog hopping and ended up here!
I just had to tell you I have read some of your post and I shouldn't encourage you... hahaha!!
I just had to say that the last line of the post got me good...I had a great laugh !!

Grace