Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Annual Halloween Assessment


As I write this, the last of the ghosts and goblins have vacated the streets and all is quiet except for the rowdies and their illegal fireworks. Last year we had more that 100 kids come to the door so this year I was prepared. I purchased 2 bags of 120 treats each, hoping it would be enough, with some left over for the biggest trick or treater of all, me. Let's see now. 240 treats, less what is left over, around 40, less what I ate before, during and after the onslaught of beggars .... wow! We had more than 150 come to the door tonight. It is a new record. But what is also a new record is the number of teenagers who unabashedly held out their bags, and their hands, for a freebie. One very large fellow and his friends came trudging straight through our flower beds and when it was his turn, simply held out his hands. I asked where his costume, or mask, or loot bag was and grunted that he had none of this things. I told him quite bluntly that when he did have the required items, he could come back for a treat. He did not take it well so I am half expecting some trouble from him later tonight.
One fellow was almost 7 feet tall and as he was walking away, down the driveway, another older kid asked him if he was nineteen. "Only seventeen", was his reply. Do these kids have no pride? This night is for the little ones, dressed in their princess outfits, or Star Wars costumes. There were way too many teen aged girls, and many of them dressed like sluts. (Pardon my English, but that was their intent)
My favourite little visitor, looking like a mini Spider Man, said, as I placed a small box of smarties in his bag, "I'm not allowed to have Smarties." Off in the shadows, down the driveway, a playful adult voice said,"But his dad is allowed." I gave him the Smarties and a Kit Kat.
It's always fun if I don't let the big kids spoil it for me.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I truly don't think anyone over 13 or 14 should be trick or treating anymore. Maybe not a popular opinion but it's mine :)