Friday, September 13, 2013

A Leap Forward


As you know, if you have been following this blog, I have become a little more enthusiastic about photography lately. It was time to kick things up a notch. One can purchase more and better equipment, or one can increase their knowledge, or one can invest in more post production software programs. There is a learning curve with new equipment and new software, but it can be worth the time and effort and expense if one is going to be serious about pursuing this hobby.
I got a smoking deal on the new Lightroom 5 photo editing program and I took the plunge. I would not have done this had I not had a resident teacher. Photo editing software is only intuitive once you know some of the basics of what is possible in the editing of a photo. I have had Photoshop Elements for some time now, actually two versions, but I never had a program that edits RAW files. A RAW file is type of photo that a good camera will take that contains a whole lot more information that a regular photo or JPEG. With more information on the actual image, one can coax more beauty or special effects out of what might look like a mundane photo. 
So far, I am just learning and experimenting, but the above photo was nothing to look at when I shot it. With all the various adjustments that are now at my fingertips. I am able to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Well, at least I think the photo is kind of cool. 

2 comments:

AF said...

Oh yah! That one looks great!

Anonymous said...

Definitely a silk purse !