Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Beauty

Many years ago when I started my business, I painted a lot of inexpensive houses that were built on speculation. I would do both the interior and the exterior and they were more or less the same, one after another. As I gained a reputation, I began doing only custom homes and only on a 'cost plus' basis. This is one that I did in the early eighties. It was very custom and is still a very beautiful home. I have worked in this home many times since I did it new, and now I hear that it will soon be demolished to make room for light industrial development. Right now it sits on a chicken ranch which doubles as an electrical contracting business. This fellow has more than a hundred employees and does the electrical in the largest buildings in downtown Vancouver. His hired help also does his landscaping. They have relatives that live across the lake from us in Oroville, but only in the summer. This was the first home I worked in that had an indoor jacuzzi. It was trend setting at the time. It was also the first time I met Al, the best finish carpenter in town. We worked in many homes together after this one. Today his sons have taken over his business and they learned the trade well from their father.

No comments: