Saturday, May 1, 2010

Deadline

I have had an investment since 1996 that has been a thorn in my flesh almost from day one. It has looked at times like the greatest thing since sliced bread and at other times abysmal. It is a US investment and in that country they have accountants that are lazy, different deadlines than we do, and a continually fluctuating dollar differential. Every year at tax time my accountant hounds me for the paperwork from the US investment and every year it shows up at the very last minute. Again this year, I have filed just under the wire. But this lateness costs me. For the last two years I have been promised a fat payout, but so far, nothing. In the meanwhile I am paying US and Canadian taxes on money I have not seen. I even got a tax refund last year for taxes that were paid on my behalf, but I never saw the income that was promised. If I gave you more details, you would shake your head like I shake mine. So, once again my tax woes are behind me, except for my accountants invoice which I received today. I cannot blame him as he spends an inordinate amount of time looking after my interests, but I would really like to put this thing to rest. When it happens, I will blog about it.

No comments: