Tuesday, October 29, 2013

More Christian Apologetics

 
It has been a number of years since I read an in-depth book on creation vs. evolution or naturalism so I picked up the "Holman Quick Source Guide to Understanding Creation." There have been quite a number of advancements in both science and the quality and quantity of theories on the subject in recent years. I have never been clear on where I stand and still am not, but I do have a better handle on the options when pondering such a weighty subject.
 
I finished the book tonight and found this review as I was searching for an image of the book. It really sums up the way I feel about what I read so I will plagiarize for a moment, if you permit me.
"I found this book extremely balanced, informative, and broad. It does a great job of briefly addressing almost all the common question that Christians interested in science may encounter. It does not deviate from a position of the Bible being the infallible Word of God, but examines all popular world views and exposes the strengths and weaknesses of each. You will probably learn some weaknesses of your own world view, as I did, but the authors do not intend to convince you of any view in particular. The book is strongest in its balance and educates impartially. An absolute must read for the scientifically minded believer."   
 
If you have any cut and dried ideas about creation, the age of the earth, the flood, evolution, ID (intelligent design) etc. you will probably come away from reading this book with either more questions, or a desire to seek more answers. Some things in life are simply not black and white. I am firmly in the camp of those who believe that God was the source of all creation, but really do not have a clue as to how he did it. But then, He is God and I am not. :) 
 
4 stars
 

No comments: