Sunday, July 27, 2008

House Boat

I considered the pros and cons of living in a houseboat. Or is it on a house boat?
Pros: You could pack up and leave when the neighbourhood turned bad.
You would not have to mow or water your lawn.
You would have no need for a swimming pool in your back yard.
No worries of dry air in the house.
No settling or cracking of your foundation.
No ant problems.
You could fish for your supper while you were heating up your frying pan.

Cons: Possible 24/7 sea sickness in bad weather.
No more packing the groceries from the garage to the kitchen.
No backyard BBQ's.
No veggie garden.
Dampness ..... everywhere, all the time.
Like sleeping on a water bed even on your Sealy Posturepedic.
No place to put your ladder if you have to get on your roof.

There is a charm and a romantic appeal about living on/in one of these beauties but they remind me of mobile homes that have an aura of impermanence about them. Although built for limited mobility, they generally are not moved much, if ever. I think I prefer a solid footing and foundation to my home. But I must make friends with someone who owns one of these so I can come visit and then make a final decision.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always had a fascination for house boats. I don't think I'd like to live on one permanently, but I think it would be fun to try it out.

Terry said...

I think that is what I was trying to say but you use so fewer words than I do. Thanks for commenting. I read you comments on Rachel's blog all the time.

Rachel said...

We've been houseboating. They are gloried RVs but I"m sure we got a base model :)