Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Poppy


Why am I tested so? After the Tums took the pain away last night, I vowed I would not repeat such activity again. It would have been of great benefit to be in the wilderness somewhere, with only roots and berries to dine on for lunch. But, no, I happened to work for some very kind and generous folks today. Around 10 am the lady of the house slipped out the front door and returned shortly with a box laden with goodies from the gourmet bakeshop down the street. The wonderful coffee would have been plenty but the big cardboard box contained much more than liquid refreshment. There were two very large sticky buns with white cream cheese frosting, two rather enormous Danish with healthy dollops of tangy lemon in the centre, and two huge cinnamon, brown sugar, and apple Danish that were dripping with liquid brown goodness. As I poured the 18% cream into my coffee, I asked if one of those treats was for me. It was not as forward as it sounds because I thought I had heard her say, when she came in the door, that she brought me a little something. Anyway, her reply was that it was ALL for me! I almost broke into tears, first of gratitude, and then of remorse. I have a fatal weakness for pastries of any kind and now I was being given carte blanche on a whole box of ecstasy. But what saved my bacon was the fact that I had confessed to gross sins last night on my post, and I simply could not repeat those actions. Out of a feeling of obligation (that is a lie) I graciously accepted a Lemon Danish, thinking that although it would still be delicious, it would probably contain the least calories of the three choices. As I continued working after the coffee break, I was being continually tempted as the box was within sight and reach the whole time. After all was said and done, I am very pleased to announce that I restrained myself, but with hugely mixed emotions. What the pretty Poppy has to do with anything is beyond me.

No comments: