Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Three In One




Since going digital with my photography, and being able to manipulate the final product, my experience has been that it is rare when a photograph cannot be enhanced with cropping. The top photo was taken in the garden a few days ago and when I looked at it just now, I decided that there were three images I wanted to keep, the original and two cropped. Other than that, I did nothing to them.
A snapshot of my work today revealed two different pictures. My first impression was one of misgiving as I was asked for ID, for the first time ever, when I arrived at a job. It was a one day effort for two elderly widows living in a mobile home. I was viewed with suspicion and mistrust and felt uncomfortable. As the day progressed, I slowly won them over through friendly conversation and concern for one of them when she fell and hurt herself. By the end of the day they were overjoyed with the final result and when I handed them the invoice, they were shocked that it did not cost more. After a half-hearted attempt at turning it down, I walked out with a cheque and a $50.00 tip! We are now buddies and feeling very good about each other. I was not always able to accomplish this sort of outcome, but experience and a developing genuine interest in people has enable me to make the best of almost any situation. I am not boasting for I believe it is God working in my life that has given me much more patience than I had as a young man. Again, two different pictures, one then and one now, but the same original. You might say that I have been cropped.

No comments: