Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ice-cream Trucks


My ears have just been assaulted by the daily ice-cream truck that prowls the neighbourhood, rain or shine. The young lad across the street bought a treat a few weeks back and now our street has been deemed a gold mine in the mind of the ice-cream truck drivers. I have learned to hate "Music Box Dancer" and "Pop Goes the Weasel" almost as much Disneyland's "It's a Small World"! I have to take great care to disassociate those tunes from ice-cream lest I puke every time I see the cold creamy treat. I heard recently that in Britain, or maybe only parts of Britain, these annoying ice-cream trucks have been banned, or at least the music they play has been. I do not see how they could stay in business if they cannot advertise their whereabouts, but I am in favour of the banning in principle. Funny how the children salivate when they hear the sound and the adults just hang onto their money a little tighter, and plug their ears. Let me know if you disagree and if it is just the old codger in me rearing its ugly head, looking for cheap ice-cream and quiet place to eat it.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I keep my freezer stocked FULL of fun popsicles and such so when my kids hear the truck I can offer them an economical treat right from home. I have taught them the mathematics of ice cream truck rip-offs!

Terry said...

Oh good! It is not just me and my generation.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I love the ice cream truck. Memories of my childhood and all that sentimental stuff. We've found the ultimate remedy though...living in the country! Apparently ice cream trucks never leave city limits. :)

Terry said...

I guess they don't want their ice-cream to melt in the middle of nowhere.