Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Change in Fortunes


I was feeling a little sorry for myself yesterday, but having just said that I would live one day at a time, I was contradicting myself. How quickly circumstances can change! After 10 rings, I finally got to my cell phone which I had inadvertently left off both Sunday and Monday. This is a bad thing when you are in business. It was Gerry's last attempt to reach me and he was about to hang up. Long story short, with the exception of 3 days next week, I am set for work for almost two months now. This is the good news.
Yesterday it was pouring rain, and naturally, the water was finding it difficult to drain with all the snow and ice around. I got home and found that my driveway was covered and the water was creeping toward my house. I got out the shovels and spades and chipped away at the ice in the gutter along the road until I came to the storm sewer and triumphantly watched as the water gushed away from my house. There was a price to pay. I was soaked to the skin, a temporary discomfort easily rectified, but was bent over and almost limping from a twisted back. Imagine after all the shovelling I have done over the last three weeks without injury, I hurt myself on the last swing of the shovel for the season. Now I am concerned about working tomorrow with a sore back. (Notice I am not giving myself any other option) :-)

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm sorry to read that you hurt your back. Hopefully some warm soaks and possibly muscle relaxers can soothe some of the pain. I know you are indeed looking forward to more favorable weather, and the opportunity to return to work. Good luck!
P.S. I hope there will be no need to "medicate you to oblivion", LOL.

On This Rock said...

Oh no! Back problems are -besides painful - are a huge inconvenience to living! Do take care....