Saturday, January 31, 2009

Go Fly a Kite

President Obama sent up a trial balloon on Friday by announcing a "Buy America" policy. This is protectionism raising its ugly head, the fear of many Canadians, before the election. Biggest hit would be our $7 billion steel exports. The policy, while well intentioned for the good of the American economy, may well contravene NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) and certainly is going against the G20 talks which called for all nations to take action for the good of the global economy. Protectionism is just a bit selfish. While some of us might want to tell Obama to go fly a kite, we might keep in mind that he said he would "review" the policy. Politicians often say things just to see what kind of reaction they get. I am sure he will get an 'ear full' when he visits our country later in February.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm still admiring your "frost" pics.. they are great. I haven't read the article yet about Obama's "Buy America" scheme. Perhaps I will have time over the weekend to catch up with the news. Hope you and yours have a wonderful weekend! I'm heading out to Houston to visit my Dad and brother.