Friday, January 2, 2009

When Will it Quit?

The New Year brings us more snow. We have no control but we can still ask, "When will it quit?" We are breaking records from 1964, my first year in this beautiful province. I remember hiring myself out to clear the roof of many a house on my street. The fear of excess weight, as the snow accumulations soaked up the rain, was enough to allay the fears of any damage done by a couple of 15 year old kids with metal shovels on a fragile roof. I must admit that we tore off a few shingles in the process. As I recall, there were no roof collapses and it was just an exercise in stimulating the economy. My economy.
I was loathe to turn down a couple of boys that came to my door a few days ago, offering to clear my driveway, for remuneration, of course. I had two very good reasons to turn down their offer. Although it was snowing at the time, I had just cleared it and there was no more that a few inches, hardly worth anybodies effort. The other, more important reason, was my waistline. Instead of diminishing, the way I would like it too, it is expanding. A good workout with the shovel aids somewhat in reversing this turn of events. Somebody once told me that too much chocolate will do that, but as far as I am concerned, that is an unproven theory, propagated by envious people.
It looks like I will be doing more shovelling before the winter is done, but be assured that I will fortify myself with a supply of unwrapped Ferrero Rocher in my jacket pocket, ready to be administered with my gloved and frozen hand at a moments notice. How else can I look forward to this unwanted task?

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh my, so much snow!!! Perhaps I do need to be there for several weeks...shoveling snow would help with my waistline problem too!