Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Salesmen

Click on the picture so you can read the sign. I thought the sign rather unnecessary at the time, but perchance a rubber boat salesman could have happened by, he would have been justified in ignoring the sign.
Since we registered on our national DNCL (telephone Do Not Call List) the number of calls soliciting for various things has not dropped at all. The rules state that if a company had a relationship with you in the past, they could bypass the list and call you. Also, charities and political parties are exempt. These exceptions are now becoming the rule. Any bank, car dealership, credit card company and charity I have ever dealt with is calling me more than ever. But I discovered something. These entities also have 'do not call ' lists that you can be put on by request. So now I politely ask if I can be put on their list. They have been, as a rule, very obliging about it and the calls are now on the decrease. Of course, in some cases, it is not wise to cut off the relationship. I still want my bank to notify me when the NSF cheques arrive. :-)

5 comments:

Susan said...

I found that sign rather funny. Since I don't have a land line (only my cell phone), I don't receive those annoying sales calls. Whew, nothing lost there.

By the way, Mr. Smarty Pants, I'm so thankful that you can not SEE how blood red my face was when I read your comment to my last post...LOL, perhaps I should have delayed the Service Tech joke for a few days, you don't miss a thing, do ya? :)

Rachel said...

Dad....you have call display. DO NOT PICK UP THE PHONE for pete's sake!!!

Terry said...

When in business, one always picks up the phone. Yesterday alone I got three calls from 'unknown' numbers that were business calls made from cell phones. Had I not picked up, I would have missed a contract.

Rachel said...

Father....listen to me. The telemarketers are 1-800 or 1-900 callers. Don't pick up those ones.
The unknown are fine...usually cell phones.

Terry said...

I hear you. I have not recieved one call from an 800 or 900 caller. The solicitors are still calling but only the ones that do not qualify for the DNCL. These solicitor's phone locations and names do not ever show up on my call display because they are not local. As are some of my business calls.