Monday, January 5, 2009

Snow on Top of Snow

Will it really all come to an end this week? We have been living in a Canadian reality for the last several weeks, a world of cold and snow. We can no longer be smug about our warm winter climate as we gloat in front of our friends in the rest of Canada. We are all in the same boat this year. At last some Canadian unity.
In the above photo we see the extent and depth of the snow. This is not drifting but the kind of snow that falls straight down and just accumulates, piling ever higher and deeper. One would think this were just another pile of snow if it were not for the antenna revealing that there might be something under there.
The transition from cold arctic air to warm Pacific moist air is always interesting, sometimes bringing with it freezing rain and last minute snow accumulations. We will know within hours of me writing this. By the time you read this we will either be digging out again, hearing the crashing of ice laden branches as they snap off the trees under the weight of the ice, or we will be scrambling to unblock the storm sewers to accommodate the runoff from the torrential warm rains.
This transition is timely as Monday is the official end of the Christmas/ New Year break. I will attempt to settle into a routine once again, hopefully a more productive one that what I have experienced in the last month. Fortunately, I have some projects and contracts lined up for January and part of February so we will be keeping the Recession Wolf away from the door for another period of time. The New Year has always brought with it an element of uncertainty, but this year I feel more at ease about it than ever before. In hind sight, I have realised that there was never anything to be anxious about, so why start into that thinking again. As I have posted previously, living one day at a time is a peaceful existence.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh my, I got cold shivers just from viewing your photo (I wrapped a blanket around my shoulders, LOL). Seems that either option, more snow or warm rains, will only bring more work for you. Are you feeling like the show shovel has become your closest buddy these days? I can only imagine how exhausted you feel from the endless accumulations of snow.