Sunday, January 18, 2009

Childhood Home

In 1996 we took a side trip to my childhood home and that is when I took this photo. The house was built in the mid fifties and at that time was the only new house that had been built in that Saskatchewan town in recent memory. We did not build the garage as that would have been too extravagant for such a humble town.
The small window to the left of the front door was my room. I threw a baseball through that window one time and it cost many weeks of delivering newspapers.
We too had a patch of potatoes in our front yard, but much smaller.
We were on the only hill in town and kids from all over would come to 'ski' down our driveway. As you can see, it was no Olympic event.
We had a rarity in town, indoor plumbing.
Also, immediately behind our hose was the Hospital, no longer there. This came in very handy for our family as my mother could cook and clean right up until the last contraction before dashing next door to deliver the latest baby.
In 2001 we visited once more and the small trees in the front were giant, so much so that I could not recognize the place until we were in front of it.
My dad paid $6.00 for the lot and the total cost of construction, by one man, was $2500 for all labour and materials. One had to be 'rich' to be able to do that back then, so we got the reputation as the "Rich family on the hill!"
How the mighty have fallen! :)

2 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you for sharing the photo and story about your childhood home. It was very interesting. I hope you and yours are having a wonderful weekend.

On This Rock said...

Thank you for sharing this post. It is always interesting to compare stories and information...I grew up in a house that looked quite similar to this but was in BC and maybe at a later date since my parents paid $14,000 for a new house in the new area of town. I drove by that home recently and it looks almost the same as it did then and has been kept in good repair.