Monday, January 19, 2009

Test Pattern

I met Ray in church yesterday and he started me on a nostalgia trip. It all started when he commented that he had read my blog post on Sunday and noticed that there was a TV antenna on the roof of 'my house'.
I wonder if that is the same one we had in the late fifties, early sixties. It certainly looks similar. Every home had one and the great height was required because we lived 75 miles from the only broadcaster, of the one and only station, which was in Saskatoon. These antennae also acted as great lightening rods, provided they were properly grounded. Ours was. We were hit, because, remember, we lived on a hill. When the storms approached, we unplugged all the appliances and just waited for the big explosion. It was more like a big bang and never did any damage.
In those early days of TV (black and white only) the broadcasts did not start until mid afternoon so the rest of the time we sat and watched the test pattern. This image is indelibly imprinted on my mind and was actually the inspiration for a sweater my mother knit for me when I was a little kid. It had a tomahawk wielding Indian on the front of it. Today we have HD, 200 channels on 24/7, and brilliant colour and strangely enough a lot of it is not much better than staring at the test pattern.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my, reading your post today brought back memories. Our "test pattern" was a simple circle with an antennae in the center, if I am recalling it correctly. At least yours was more creative than ours, LOL. How things have changed!

Susan said...

By the way, yes.. there is enough room for you to join Charlie on the deck this summer. But bring your own "dog house", LOL.