Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sun Catcher?


Here is a shot of our Sun Catcher turned Snow Catcher. There has not been a lot of sun to catch lately, in fact the top of the shiny globe is taking on a dull rusty patina from all the moisture. Every time I have walked past it in the last two weeks, I have seen a reflection of an old guy with a snow scoop in his hands and this one time, I thought I would catch this image so in the heat of summer I could go back in time and remember how cold it was only a few months ago.
The one thing about living in the valley here is that the 4 seasons are not distinct, but rather meld, one into another. Not this winter. Having the ice and snow has been a sure fire closure on Autumn and when it finally goes away, if it ever does, it will seem like spring has arrived.
Today, Friday, (remember I pre-date some of my posts) we had a few more inches of snow so, more shovelling. My customer cancelled the job I was to do. It is a long story, but certainly weather related.
After cleaning a path to the street, I helped a neighbour clear two parking spots for his dinner guests tonight. After clearing one, I just told him he could use our driveway tonight. A few minutes later, I am informed by my social director that we are having friends in tonight. What to do. Things usually work themselves out and tonight was no exception. One hour before our friends were to arrive, they called and cancelled due to an on coming illness. No sooner had I put down the phone when I heard that familiar whizzing sound of tires spinning on ice. The Pizza delivery boy, who had no clue about snow and ice, got stuck on my neighbours driveway and was trying to burn and spin his way to the center of the earth where it is rumoured to be cozy and warm. He was well on his way until I was able to throw some sand under his now hot and bald tires and he was suddenly projected back onto the road, amid a haze of blue smoke and stench.
After all the excitement of the day, including a pleasant afternoon visit with some relatives from Calgary, I was finally able to settle down and watch my Vancouver Canucks get beat by the Atlanta Thrashers.
Just another day of winter in Canada. Hello ....... are you still awake?

1 comment:

Gary said...

A good blog.

My wife and I are diehard Pittsburgh Penguins fans, (Marc Andre Fleury was our junior league goaltender when we lived in Cape Breton and he was with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles), so most of Cape Breton went where he went.

Regarding Vancouver, I think they're a real threat, particularly with the addition of Matts Sudin. Roberto Luango also came out of the Quebec league. I remember seeing him play in Cape Breton. He's perhaps the best in the NHL at present.

Playoffs: Keep an eye on Montreal, Pittsburgh, Washington, and the Rangers in the East. The West should have stiff competition from San Jose, Detroit, Vancouver and Calgary. My prediction: Pittsburgh VS Vancouver.

I invite you to visit my site at garyross.ca.

Have a healthy and prosperous 2009.

Gary