Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Keeping Watch

I did not zoom in on the bird in the tree because I did not want to lose perspective in the photo, but that is an American Bald Eagle keeping watch over the fields as the mice scurry across the snow banks, escaping the coming flood waters. Every year we see more of these magnificent birds in our part of the country. They no longer seem to be afraid of civilization and will even nest in a local park here in our city that is constantly frequented by cyclers, skateboarders, and all manner of pedestrian traffic.
There was a time, many years ago, that I had the opportunity to leisurely observe these birds in the wild. I was laying face up on a large flat rock in the middle of a lake, in the middle of nowhere. Above me towered a 3000 ft. granite faced cliff, angled toward the south and facing the sun. It was a cool summer's day, but I knew the rock face was attracting heat because there was a pair of Eagles riding the thermal up-drafts. They would cruise higher and higher until they reached the summit of the cliff and then on cue would lock talons and come tumbling down through the air, seeming to twist and roll out of control. Then, half way down, they would suddenly unlock, spread their massive wings, and glide to the nearest thermal for the elevator ride back up. It was thrilling to watch two wild creatures, just having fun and enjoying each others company, all the while never flapping a wing or exerting any effort. It was a Wilbur and Orville moment for me.

2 comments:

Karl with a C said...

I really like the blog! The only thing I would suggest is maybe a new theme/template. The black theme is nice and simple but not really eye-catching. (Only my opinion) For an example of an eye-catching theme see my blog here:

http://karlwithac.blogspot.com/

Hope this is somewhat helpful. :)

Susan said...

Nice photo, Terry. I had the great fortune of seeing a bald eagle only once.. they are so beautiful in flight.