Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Armchair Coach


As I grow older, my list of life's little pleasures seems to be diminishing. But one pleasure that is still well within my grasp is my love of hockey. I played as a young boy in Saskatchewan and it became a part of me. Now, I observe and coach from the comfort of my easy chair, propped up in front of my big screen TV. I am a little too vocal as I watch, and I wear my emotions on my sleeve. You would think the players on my team could hear me all the way from there.
My team is doing very well so far this season. The expectations for them were very low only a few months ago. Tonight, (Monday night) with their key player injured and out for a few weeks, they defeated the hottest team in the league, in the dying minutes of the game. I love the game of hockey, but especially when 'we' are winning. I may change my tune in the days following, but you will not know it because I will not admit it. I am a poor loser.

No comments: