Thursday, November 6, 2008

Change


What will change besides the colour of the leaves?
I have been watching some post election coverage and there is a sense of euphoria on both sides of our border. What particularly intrigues me is the jubilation among Black Americans. Far be it from me to understand the angst involved here, but when you see the tearful (tears of joy) displays and the jumping up and down like at a Super Bowl Game when your team has won, you can't help but wonder what the joy is really all about. You hear comments like "Historic", "I thought I would never see the day", "At last there will be change", "Now there is hope", and even Oprah was unable to contain her enthusiasm and was recorded jumping up and down like a school girl. Will someone tell me what will change, please! I fear that expectations are so high that everyone is for a big fall and then what will happen is disillusionment, and then apathy. The big shock for me was when President Elect Obama stated in his speech that "government will not be able to solve all the problems in America." This is diametrically opposed to Democratic philosophy, so what he is doing is telling his people not to expect too much. And I think he is right. Even subtle honesty is honesty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aloha! Thought that we would stop in for a little visit and see how things are going "over there!" You are correct around the emotion of the American election...quite a party going on and we see much anticipation of the "over the top" goods to come.... speaking of good things, we can only talk up the "goodness" of sunshine, amazing sunsets, great food and waving palm trees....wish you guys were here! F&E