Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Paths and Benches

As promised, more park benches and autumn paths.

Getting older does not mean that the pace of life has to slow down. This was brought to my attention recently as I did some work for a retired fellow who grew up and worked in Switzerland for most of his life. He showed me a panoramic photo of some of the more famous Swiss Alpine mountain tops and told me that he had climbed every one of them. The Matterhorn has always intrigued me and I quizzed him on his experience climbing that granite peak. He assured me it was all pitons and ropes and very difficult but he did it several times. Then to my surprise, he told me that he still rock climbs on 'The Lions" north of Vancouver. He is almost eighty but is short and wiry and very fit. When I asked him if he climbed by himself, he assured me that he did not as it would not be safe at his age. He then informed me that his climbing partner is 90!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love that! The other day someone asked me if I didn't think I was too old to be mountain biking. This person is only 3 years older than me! I feel pity for that kind of mentality. Never confine yourself by your age. Let your mind free your body, let your actions guide your health and your health will dictate your activities. Keep living until they close the lid on your casket. Yeay for your client!!
Chris