Sunday, November 2, 2008

Deja Vu


Yes, it's the same train, but a little more ominous looking in B/W. I had a Deja vu moment today when I got the phone call. We had a nice contract lined up for at least 4 weeks of work in November, all at cost plus. The call was to inform me that a family member with the required skills to do my work was in need of employment, and "I am sorry, but family comes first." In the early 80's when the big recession hit us all hard, I was getting a lot of this and did not do well for a few years as work was scarce. This is now the second time in two weeks that I have had a contract cancelled. Are we headed for the same slump now as then? Time will tell as we are coming into the Christmas rush now when it is usually busier than normal. Retail consumer spending is predicted to be down significantly and that will probably spill over into my business. If it indeed means less work, will I learn to just enjoy it, or will I fret and worry? After all, I am part of the baby boomer generation that lost a significant amount of its savings in the recent crash.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I was sorry to read about the recent contracts cancelled for you. I am somewhat afraid that things are going to become worse. Like you, I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong. I wish I had more optimism about the financial crisis we all face but that becomes even more difficult when the news highlights inform me there is need to worry.