Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remember


We remember, and yet we wonder. Why do conflict resolutions so often end in war? Are wars that we participate in always just? When young men and women lose their lives in a war that is 'lost' did they die in vain? Why can we not learn that war always does more harm than good and that there can be other solutions?
My own father who is now 86 years old, was a young man who was called to war through the draft. His father's faith was Anabaptist and non-resistant, a faith that was taught and caught in his family. There was the choice of conscientious objection and alternative service, which my dad chose with great struggle. He served his country for two years helping to keep essential services running while many of his friends and school chums donned a uniform and were shipped overseas. Many of these young men died in the battles at Dieppe. To this day, my father struggles with this reality. I believe it is called survivor's guilt. I have discovered this same thing in veterans who served in wars and managed to come back alive.
There is suffering in death and life, when it is war that a society chooses.

2 comments:

onewomanstreasures said...

The MCC button I wear at this time of year reflects your post:
"to remember is to work for peace".

I always appreciate reading your posts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Jennifer Siemens

Anonymous said...

I found it interesting that Google, which is the first thing that comes up on my screen, always changes it's "face" for every occasion that arises, however there was nothing for Rememberance Day. Did you notice that?
Chris